Travis Perkins Managed Services ‘Community Engagement Fund’ in partnership with Wickes have awarded £5,000 to Friends of Westfield Farm in Dormanstown, Redcar for their outstanding contribution as a community investment project.
Westfield Farm is a community engagement hub working in a heavily deprived area that provides a variety of social value initiatives for 2000 local people who are in need – from a gardening volunteer programme supplying home grown produce and meals to those living in food poverty, through to educational support for school projects on healthy eating. Work Hubs provide careers information, advice, and guidance; whilst Digital Champion volunteers also provide internet access and assistance. As businesses that help the community, we think this social value initiative is extremely important in enabling residents to improve their life skills and future employment opportunities.
About their project
Their detailed proposal to provide support for an additional 500 local people, impressed the judges by covering all categories: Community investment; Employment, Education, Skills and training, Health and wellbeing and Environment.
The backing has already made a huge impact and 2017 is looking bright for the social value project. So far…
- Their polytunnel is booked to be re-covered in Spring, allowing produce to be grown all year round
- Work Hub opening hours have been extended to meet demand
- Local primary schools and children have benefited from ‘hands on’ mini gardening projects
- Laptops have been upgraded so more residents can learn, search for jobs, and manage their finances online
- Catering equipment has been purchased to enhance activities and facilitate local events
- Low income households and food banks have reaped the rewards of fresh produce grown from seed
Barry McBride, Westfield Farm coordinator, said: “We’re really grateful for the funding from Travis Perkins Managed Services and Wickes. It will allow us to build on our success by giving us the scope to expand and improve our current offerings, as well as develop new community engagement programmes.”
WIN £5,000 for your own community investment project today.
For full Terms & Conditions and to enter your submission, visit our My Community Competition. To learn more about TP Managed Services social value projects that give back to the community and sustainable supply chain solutions and building procurement services, please get in touch on 0800 169 2200 or email email@example.com.